It was just over 1 year ago, sometime last spring, when I started desperately praying to God to show me what “love” was. I felt like every love I had encountered came with conditions, wanted me to change, or didn’t actually find joy in me as a person. I feel like our generation has no concept of how the verb “love” plays itself out once the noun “love” is claimed to be possessed.
“Love you!” “I’m totally in love with your shoes”, and “Dude, you brought wings? I love you!” have somehow diluted the concept and I was completely and unashamedly searching for what LOVE should actually look like. How could I, as a friend, daughter, pastor, and maybe one day wife or mother, ever show love to others if I didn’t understand it myself?
Well, God has been answering that prayer…and I mean Answering! I never in my wildest dreams imagined that God would choose to show me an example of His deep love for me, by sending Edward into my life. I was just expecting some type of text-book definition to appear in my mind and then I could explain that to people. But here are some things about True Love, Christ-like love, that I have learned this year.
- Love is a choice
- Love is an overwhelming and undeniable
- Love sees the very best in you, even when your actions don’t show it
- Love hurts
- Love heals
- Love sees the future with hope and a smile
- Love forgives easily
- Love challenges what feels wrong
- Love fights for what is right
- Love tells you who you are on the inside
- Love brings out your best
- Love shows you your worst
- Love makes you choose the high-ground to keep it
- Love takes delight in every little detail of you
I’m so blessed and fortunate that I get to live this experience with Edward Rishi Szall. I know he must be hand picked because no one else could be this tailor made for me. We gush, we challenge, we affirm, we debate, we cry (or I do), and we marvel at all that this life has to offer. He reminds me of who I want to be. Praise the Lord.