Hey friends and followers! Team RZ is “celebrating” it’s 2nd Valentine’s as a couple, and 1st as newlyweds. We all know relationships – especially marriages – are tough. But today, regardless of what our spouses do or don’t do, I choose to celebrate by remembering the best things. I choose to convey my love the best way I know how…via blog! So maybe some of you can relate, but set the complaints aside for a moment, and remember your beau is made in a Heavenly image…and join in the count-down with me.
10. Reason why I love my husband – He saved a man from a burning car last summer. To be honest, I totally forgot about this, (wait, don’t gasp, I have a horrible memory!), and he never brings it up. But he had his review the other day, and it came up because he was in uniform when it happened. He was driving home, saw the car in trouble, broke the the window, climbed in, and pulled the guy to safety. Then he administered first aid and waited until the pediatrics came. I don’t love the fact that my hubby did this crazy scary thing… I love that it’s in his nature to just help people. He is never too busy, or cool, or sure someone else will, he just stops and does what needs to be done. I’ve learned a lot from watching him.
9. Reason why I love my husband – He is a life-long learner. One of the first ways we bonded was sharing articles while he was in Germany, then reading and sharing our thoughts with each other. He always wants to learn something new – he listens to podcasts as he bikes to work, reads books while waiting on people, prints articles he finds online, and sometimes calls me just to tell me about something interesting he learned in class that day. I get exhausted from just a smidgen of that information – but he just hungrily eats it up, and passes it along to anyone who will listen.
8. Reason 8 why I love my husband – he goes after what he wants. That’s why we are together – he made up his mind that he wanted me, and we made it work from different continents, time zones, beliefs, and careers. I find very few men that are willing to make sacrifices for relationships anymore…and he was so dedicated from the start! As he often tells me, “you never stood a chance!” It’s not just me by any means – when he wants to accomplish something, once it’s decided, he just does it. Marathons, promotions, special forces, school, our home…now the trick is, he has to decide. It doesn’t work if I just ask him to do something. Oh wait, only good things!
7. Reason why I love my husband – He keeps me focused on God. It’s true, sometimes I’m a bit self-centered, or get distracted from what we were put on earth to do. He keeps me on track, sometimes without even realizing it. Sometimes, he’ll directly say to me, “baby, we need to pray!”, sometimes, I see something in him that reminds me he was fearfully and wonderfully made, sometimes, I get upset and don’t understand, and end up on my knees seeking wisdom from the Father. One way or another, this man has stretched my faith more than I ever thought possible.
6. Reason why I love my husband – He’s hott. Sorry ya’ll, that’s just the simple truth. He’s a good looking man, and when he comes home at the end of the day, I think, “Wow, he’s yummy! And he chose me!!” And that’s all I’ll say here…
5. Reason why I love my husband – He supports me. Sometimes, to a fault. Whether it’s a business idea, a friendship, and goal, a dream, he always supports me. He put it in the vows he wrote to me, and reminds me often that we are a team. If it’s important to me, he’s going to help me get there.
4. Reason why I love my husband – He’s a warrior. He fights evil, seen or unseen every day. We talk a lot about spiritual warfare in our house, we believe that just as God is so good and full of love, that there is an Enemy full of evil and pain. So whatever form that evil takes, my love is ready to do battle. On a more personal note, I worry sometimes that he will never truly feel peace. He has been a solider for 6 years, most of his adult life. He’s seen enough action to know that the bad guys are real, and too close for comfort sometimes. I pray often that our home would be a place where he can rest – even just for a moment before heading back into the fray.
3. Reason why I love my husband – He’s so silly!!! Sometimes we just get the giggles and can’t stop. I’ve never laughed so easily WITH someone. You know how a lot of times, the laughter between people is at one person’s expense? Or one person thinks it’s funnier than all the rest? Not with him, when I start laughing, he’s right there with me. And when he’s causing my laughter, I can’t stop! We sing in the car, tickle each other, and make goofy noises and voices. I think, (well, this is the German in me), that being silly with someone is more vulnerable than just about anything else. It’s a form of intimacy just like the deep emotions, and physical touch. I love his smile, and love when we laugh together.
2. Reason why I love my husband – He is going to make a great dad. I have not always been on the “I need a kid” band wagon – many of you know this. However, when I see my hubby in action every day, I think, this man DESERVES to have kids. He should have a little mini version of him that he can teach and love and train up in the world. I see how tender he is with other peoples kids, or our dogs, I hear how deeply convicted he is about right and wrong, about caring for others, and I think, dear God, may we have children JUST SO THAT he can be their father. Lord knows, if I’m their mother, they’ll need all the help they can get.
1. And, the #1 Reason why I love my husband is.…because I choose to. I figured out long before I ever met this guy that Love is a choice. How so? Because it’s an action. The feelings ebb and flow with our sleep patterns and the other person’s behavior, but our actions don’t need to. So when I first told him I loved him, I meant it. I had fallen, and decided to stay. Regardless of what the future held, I decided I was going to love him like Jesus as best I could – even if that meant us not being together. But it was in God’s plan for us to be together…so on Nov. 2, I stood up in front of family and friends, and promised God that I would love this man for the rest of my life. And so, I do.